Recycled, reclaimed, remarkable
Fiberon offers consumers durable product options that save natural resources and are produced in a virtually waste-free manufacturing process. From raw material sourcing to homeowner maintenance, Fiberon outdoor living products incorporate the following sustainable practices and benefits:
Made from Locally-Sourced, Recycled Materials
- Fiberon products consist of the following recycled and reclaimed content:
- All composite products' recycled content is sourced within 500 miles of our manufacturing facilities.
- Our products are manufactured in the USA in two locations: New London, NC 28127-8735 and Meridian, ID 83642- 2823.
- Composite products are made from recycled, high-density polyethylene (HDPE) which includes plastic milk jugs, shampoo and laundry detergent bottles. HDPE has higher tensile strength for denser, durable products that also withstand higher temperatures better than lighter weight LDPE. Used with HDPE, wood flour is acquired from ground window trim, doorframes, lumber and cabinet pieces. HDPE encapsulates the wood to resist harsh weather, splintering and decay.
- 100% of PVC material is reclaimed in our manufacturing process.
- Fiberon diverts over 40,000 tons of wood and plastics from landfills and incinerators each year.
Produced in an Energy Efficient, Virtually Waste-Free Manufacturing Process
- The use of closed loop water cooling systems allow for zero water discharge.
- 98.5% of all material waste is recovered from our manufacturing processes.
Contributes to High Performance Green Buildings
- Contributes to high performance green buildings and points for recycled content.
- Railing products are designed for easier and quicker installation utilizing fewer screws.
- Fully reversible boards minimize product waste during installation.
Safe for Your Home and for the Environment
- Urea formaldehyde-free; No toxic chemicals are used in the manufacturing of Fiberon products.
- Products do not splinter; protecting workers and users from potential injuries.
- Products are recyclable after their useful life.
Sustainable—Durable Performance Year after Year
- Fiberon products deliver long-term performance that requires no chemical preservatives, paint or stains that are common for wood decks, railing and fencing.
LEED and Other Green Building Rating Systems
Fiberon decking and railing products contribute towards points in LEED and other green building rating systems.
|Material Type||Outdoor Flooring PVC Decking||Horizon, Pro-Tect and Sanctuary Decking||Professional and Classic Decking||Horizon Railing||Composite Fencing|
Green Programs and Points
|Pts||Outdoor Flooring PVC Decking||Horizon, Pro-Tect and Sanctuary Decking||Professional Decking||Horizon Railing||Composite Fencing|
|LEED-H (LEED for Homes)|
|M&R EPP Spec - 25% post consumer content||0.50||0.50||0.50||0||0||0|
|M&R EPP Spec - 25% pre-consumer content||0.25||0||0.25||0.25||0||0.50|
|M&R Local Production < 500 miles from 28127 or 83642||0.50||0.50||0.50||0.50||0.50||0.50|
|LEED-NC v2.2 (LEED for New Construction - Commercial)|
|4.1 - 10% post consumer + 1/2 pre-consumer content||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|4.2 - 20% post consumer + 1/2 pre-consumer content||2||2||2||2||2||0|
|5.1 Regional materials 10% < 500 miles from 28127 or 83642||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|5.2 Regional materials 20% < 500 miles from 28127 or 83642||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Total LEED-NC v2.2||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||2.00|
|NAHB (National Association of Home Builders)|
|2.2.8 Resource Efficiency - Termite Resistant Materials for Exterior Decks||7||7||7||7||7||7|
|2.2.12 Resource Efficiency - Show and Employ Flashing Details at Deck/House Juncture||9||9||9||9||9||9|
|2.4 Resource Efficiency - Use recycled content building materials||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|2.7 Resource Efficiency - Use products that contain fewer resources than traditonal products||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|2.8.1 Resource Efficiency - Use locally available indigenous materials||5||5||5||5||5||5|
|Resource Efficient Building Materials - outdoor decking and porches 80% to have min 40% recycled content||3||0||3||3||0||n/a|
|Bonus points - Use building materials mfr'd < 500 miles of site||0.50||0.50||0.50||0.50||0.50||0.50|
|Total Earthcraft House||3.50||0.50||3.50||3.50||0.50||0.50|
Fiberon is proud to be an ally of the Environment Protection Agency’s (EPA) GreenScapes, a program that promotes cost-efficient and environmentally friendly solutions for landscaping. Designed to help preserve natural resources and prevent waste and pollution, it provides research, guidance, publications and online calculator tools that can aid in your decision making and implementation of more sustainable landscape solutions.
The GreenSpaces Decking Alternative Cost Calculator demonstrates that environmentally preferable decking options are very cost competitive.