Hidden Deck Fastener FAQ
How do I remove a damaged deck board that was installed with Phantom hidden fasteners?
If a board is damaged and needs replacing, the method for removal will vary by fastener style.
- For Phantom Universal fasteners, simply reverse out the screw to remove the fastener, lift out the damaged board, replace with a new board, and re-fasten.
- For Phantom GT fasteners, do the following:
- Make two parallel cuts down the middle of the damaged board and remove the center section.
- Using a small pry bar, removed the two remaining decking pieces from the fastener prongs.
- Use pliers to remove the prongs on the sides of the board on which the screw heads are now visible.
- Position a new board carefully into place, and drive it onto the remaining prongs.
- Set the board into the proper position and secure the lead edge with a finish screw or nail.
Are Fiberon fasteners compatible with other decking brands?
Fiberon Phantom universal plastic hidden fasteners are compatible with most leading decking brands. All other Fiberon fasteners are designed specifically for use with Fiberon decking products. In fact, using a non-approved fastener will void your warranty, so ensure you are using the right fastener prior to beginning your deck project.
|AZEK® Grooved PVC||
What is the difference between Phantom Universal Hidden Fasteners and Phantom GT Hidden Fasteners?
Fiberon Phantom universal Fasteners are high-quality HDPE material with a carbon steel-coated screw that has been pre-inserted for faster, easier installations. The Phantom universal fastener provides superior lateral movement control when tested against the leading competitor’s plastic fastener. It installs with one touch and ensures consistent 3/16” gapping between boards. Plus, plastic fasteners are less expensive to manufacture than metal fasteners, so the cost savings is passed along to the customer.
The Fiberon Phantom GT Hidden Fastener is made from stainless steel with a corrosion-resistant coating. It has more “teeth” and dual limiting tabs to ensure consistent board spacing and eliminate the twisting that often occurs with single tab fasteners. The Phantom GT fastener is a good choice for contractors and DIYers who prefer a traditional metal fastener.
How many hidden deck fasteners will I need for my specific deck size?
Use the following chart to determine the number of Fiberon Phantom Universal or Phantom GT Hidden Fasteners you will need for these popular deck sizes.
|Deck Size(square feet)|
|Joist spacing on center||Number of fasteners needed|
Can Fiberon Phantom Hidden Deck Fasteners be used with decking other than Fiberon?
Phantom Fasteners are for use with most composite decking products. Non-grooved composite decking boards can be grooved** with a slot cutting bit to accommodate the Phantom Fastener. Recommended bits are:
- UFO, PN: The Groover
- Woodstock International, PN: DC1098
- Bosch, PN: 85530M
- Sears, PN: SPM215190769
- Sears, PN: SPM215190779
- Grizzly Industrial, PN: C1098
**Cutting grooves or slots into deck boards may void the manufacturer's warranty. Fiberon does not warrant or guarantee your warranty will remain valid.