How do I clean Horizon Decking?
For general cleaning, use soap and water or mild household cleaners.
Is there a pattern repeat with Horizon Decking?
There are four different grain patterns used with Horizon decking. The patterns are different on the front and back of the boards, giving each piece a more natural look. Both the grain patterns and the color streaking repeat every 70 feet.
Can I power wash Fiberon Decking products?
Skilled professionals may use a pressure washer with wide fan tips, at low pressures under 3,000 psi and at safe distances, 10" above deck. In the wrong hands, your composite deck could be damaged. Exercise extreme caution. Improper use could lead to damage of the surface, and void your warranty coverage.
What is picture-framing a deck?
“Picture-framing” refers to putting a border around the edge of a deck or porch. On a composite deck or porch, picture frames are constructed using square-edge boards and mitered corners to ensure a clean, finished look.
Among the reasons to consider a picture frame:
- It heightens visual interest. Most contractors will use one color for the deck’s interior and then a contrasting shade for the picture frame. This enhances the custom look of the space and creates a border that really pops.
- It creates a polished look. Framing with a square-edge board will cover the exposed ends of interior boards as well as hide the edge on grooved decking that is used with hidden fastening systems.
- It highlights deck stairs and edges, visually reminding guests to watch their footing. That’s a smart, easy way to enhance safety on your space. One thing to consider: Darker picture frames are easier to see during the day; however, lighter picture frames are often easier to discern in the evening – especially if you don’t have riser lights on stairs.
Picture-framing is also effective for defining specific zones on your deck, such as the dining area, as well as highlighting special features like a fire pit.
One final tip: Be sure that the width of the picture frame is in correct proportion to the size of the overall deck. If you’re working with a large space, you may want to create a wider, two-board-width picture frame. If the deck is smaller, stick to one board width.
Can Fiberon Decking be installed over existing joists and framing?
Yes, Fiberon Decking can be installed over an existing substructure if the following conditions are met:
- The existing framework must be free of any damage or decay; i.e., in good, workable condition (consider having the space assessed by a licensed deck inspector)
- The joists must be spaced correctly
- There must be adequate cross ventilation and unobstructed airflow under 50% of the deck. Allow a minimum of 1.5 inches (4 cm) between bottom of joist and the ground. Water must be able to flow away from under the deck. Improve drainage or grade flat areas where standing water may gather, and do not install decking directly to an existing or solid surface.
Am I able to cut Fiberon railings to custom size? If so, what is the best kind of saw and blade to use?
Yes, Fiberon Symmetry, and Horizon railing can be cut down to fit between existing
posts. We recommend using a sharp 32-tooth carbide-tipped blade – 32
teeth or more will cut it neat and clean.
Read more here.